Yet, oftentimes, when it comes to moving into a new home or relocating to a new area or state, we get so caught up in the buying, selling and moving that we can forget some of the needs our pets will have during this time.
Animals have a very keen sense when there are changes that are taking place, and an ever growing mound of boxes or trips to your new location can put stress on your animal. Even though you may be excited about moving to your new Lake Michigan Shoreline home and everything seems to be moving along seamlessly; it’s imperative to give a little extra attention and tlc to your pet during this time. Below are some key ways that you can help your pet have a smooth transition and to ensure they’re enjoying their new Lake Michigan Shoreline home in no time!
1. Appoint a Person- As part of your moving plan, appoint one person in the family that will be in charge of your pet. This will eliminate any confusion as to who has responsibility and will help ensure your pet gets the extra attention they need.
2. Schedule an Appointment- Be sure to schedule an appointment with your veterinarian a few weeks before your move for a check up. Be sure to get your pet’s veterinary records so they can be given to your new veterinarian. Make sure you obtain any permits or registrations as well.
3. Prep Your Home- Prep your new Lake Michigan Shoreline home for your pet. They may be frightened or confused in their new surroundings. Choose a room that you can set up for them with all their familiar items such as toys, food, bedding, etc... Pack these items in a handy spot so they can be unpacked right away.
4. Moving by Car- If you’re moving your pets by car, be sure to plan for several stops along the way. Some pets may find car travel extremely distressing and stopping for fresh air and breaks can help. Don’t forget any medications your pet might need as well as a leash.
5. Allow for Discovery- Dogs especially will need time to discover their new area. Be sure to locate the nearest park or outdoor area to your new Lake Michigan Shoreline home where your dog can run. Give them time to discover their new area and even allow them to make new friends.
We hope these tips are helpful to you as you consider moving to your ideal home along Lake Michigan’s Shoreline!
Of course, one of the best resources or places for pet rescue if you’re looking to help an animal in needs is PAWS Chicago! This fantastic establishment, founded in 1997, is Chicago’s largest no kill, humane and adoption organization. A bunch of our Shoreline Property Advisors friends have pets that they’ve adopted from PAWS Chicago and we’re proud to be a part of helping out their great cause!
We’ve recently donated money to PAWS Chicago through the help of our loyal Facebook fans! In efforts to bring awareness and support the loving option of adopting these animals, we’ve donated $5 for every new “like” we’ve received on our Shoreline Advice Lifestyle and Real Estate Facebook page and with your help, we've reached our $500 goal!
So, whether you’re considering buying or selling a home along the Lake Michigan Shoreline or just have a soft spot in your heart for animals; we’d love to get to know you! Feel free to let us know how we can help with your Lake Michigan Shoreline Real Estate needs or share with us pictures of your pet or what they mean to you!
We hope to hear from you soon!