Wednesday, December 7, 2011
Winter Curb Appeal Tips for Your Chicago Home
With the holiday season now in full swing, many of us are bracing ourselves for yet another infamous Chicago winter. And, while the dipping temperatures and piles of snow may not be ideal for everyone, many of us do enjoy the beauty that this season brings. The powdery white blanket that seems to embrace the city, endless twinkling lights, local shops adorned in festive decorations and a wide variety of seasonal events keep many of us in the holiday spirit throughout the colder months.
As Chicago Real Estate agents, we feel that your home should always act as your welcome respite, and even more so during the busy holiday season. Whether you’re planning on hosting gatherings or your Chicago home is currently for sale, creating a welcoming environment for guests or potential buyers begins the minute they view your home.
So, how can you create beautiful curb appeal for your home in the midst of a Chicago winter? Here are seven ways that can generate the warmth and appeal you desire!
1. Safety- You may have friends and family planning to visit soon, or may even be showing your Chicago home this winter, so you’ll want to put safety first! Be sure your driveway, sidewalk and front porch are cleared of debris or any snow. It’s always better to be on the cautious side and put down salt, as even rain can freeze and make walking up to your home dangerous.
2. Tasteful Decorations- While you can have fun with the season’s bright lights and characters of Christmas, it can be easy for some to get carried away. Try small white lights around your homes’ bushes or front porch post, a simple wreath and garland to enhance your home’s appearance without being too distracting.
3. Fresh Paint- Your Chicago home is more visible in the winter months as trees are free from their leaves and your home’s condition is more exposed. Touching up chipped or faded paint is a great way to help your Chicago home look refreshed.
4. A Neat Lawn- Whether there is snow covering your lawn or not; be sure to keep your lawn free from any leaves, twigs, etc… that may have blown through with the harsher winds. Just because your lawn is not expected to be as lush as the summer months, doesn’t mean to ignore the state of your lawn. Keeping it cleaned up will show that you care.
5. Clean Gutters- It’s not too late to make sure your gutters are free from leaves and other debris. You’ll want these cleared so that melting snow or rain can easily run through the gutters and not cause damage.
6. Lighting- The use of lights can really make your home stand out with the shorter winter days. Since there is more time without the suns light, using a variety of lighting can give your home a warm glow. Indoor window lights in each room provides a nice appeal, while lights along the pathway up to your home, a bright porch light and tasteful Christmas lights are all ways in which to enhance your Chicago homes’ curb appeal.
7. Cold Weather Plants- Hearty plants and Evergreen trees can withstand the winter months while adding visual appeal to the outside of your home. Evergreen Holly will add a splash of color with its red berries and can stand up to the cold weather.
We hope these ideas are helpful as you gear up for the winter season! Whether you are preparing for family and friends or Chicago buyers; we know you’ll enjoy creating a welcoming atmosphere for your home.
If you are considering putting your home up for sale on the Chicago Real Estate market this winter and are looking for a Chicago Real Estate agent, please contact us! Our Shoreline Property Advisors team and Prudential Rubloff Real Estate agents will be more than happy to put our experience to work for you!
We look forward to hearing from you!
Shoreline Property Advisors
@ Prudential Rubloff